Aliabad, August 20: Law enforcing agencies have arrested more than 20 men from Altit, Nasirabad, Aliabad, Karimabad and Murtazabad.
The arrests have come in reaction to the violent protests that had gripped the peaceful Hunza Valley after the brutal murder of two Internally Displaced People (IDPs) in Aliabad, who wanted to protest in front of the Chief Minister, Mehdi Shah, and demand early release of rehabilitation funds.
According to information contingents of police raided houses in Altit, Nasirabad, Aliabad, Karimabad and Murtazabad Villages of Central Hunza at around 3-4 AM, early morning today and arrested more than 20 people. They have, reportedly, been shifted to Pisan Police Station in Nagar.
The detained people include several young activists of Progressive Youth Front, including Tahir Jan and Irfan. An activist of the PYO, Afsar Jan, has also been arrested from his house in Nasirabad.
It is pertinent to note that on request of police a committee had been formed in Hunza Valley to collect weapons that were stolen from police stations during the 08/11 incident. The committee had been able to recover more than 70 % of the missing weapons while efforts were under way to get the remaining 30%.
The IGP had promised that no arrests will be made if the stolen weapons were recovered.